Serves: 3 | Total Time: 30 Minutes
Sometimes, fast easy dinners are just what I need.
This orange beef stir fry recipe is perfect if you are looking for quick easy meals to make on busy weeknights. It only takes 30 minutes from start to finish, 40 if you take your time (or like your beef strips a little thicker).
Orange zest and spinach give a bright summer vibe to this low carb beef dinner, but it is rich enough (without being heavy) to have any time of the year.
Although this stir fry is awesome right out of the wok, it heats up well the next day, too. I like to double up on the recipe for a make-ahead meal while I'm at it. Just package up the leftovers, stick them in the fridge, and they will keep for a few days. When you need a grab-and-go-lunch, this orange beef stir fry will be ready for you.
Now, that is something to get stirred up about!
Orange Beef Stir Fry
Total Time: 30 Minutes
(Prep: 15 Minutes / Cook: 15 Minutes)
- 1 lb. flank steak, cut in half lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- zest from one large orange
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger root
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 heirloom bell peppers (or 1 red and 1 yellow), cored and julienned
- 1 bunch (about 8) medium scallions cut on the bias into 1-inch pieces
- 4 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 5 ounces sliced bamboo shoots
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Freeze the flank steak halves for about 10-15 minutes. Slice the partially frozen meat across the grain about 1/4 inch thick. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, cornstarch, orange zest, and ginger. Set aside.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a wok or skillet over medium high. Add the meat and stir fry for 4-5 minutes until browned, but not overcooked. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the meat onto a plate lined with paper towels.
4. Add the remaining oil to the wok, then add the peppers and scallions and stir fry for 3 minutes. Add bamboo shoots and red pepper flakes and stir fry for another 2 minutes. Stir in the cornstarch mixture until well incorporated. Lastly, add the spinach and stir fry until the leaves wilt, about 1 minute longer.
5. Return the meat to the wok, season with salt and pepper, and lightly toss until coated with the sauce. Serve immediately over hot rice, or as is. Refrigerate any leftovers and serve them the next day. This meal is just as good, if not better, when reheated a day later!