Serves: 4 | Total Time: 30 Minutes
Lamb meatballs, mint pesto and sweet yogurt sauce. Sounds gourmet, doesn’t it?
Well, it is… and it’s keto, too!
Initially, I wasn’t aiming to make this recipe a gourmet keto dinner. Lamb chops with mint jelly is one of my favorite culinary combinations, so I wanted to combine them in a lamb meatball appetizer recipe.
The keto part just sort of happened. You can imagine how happy I was when I calculated the nutritional information and macros and got the results.
In fact, the carbs are so low that you can double up the serving portions and have these easy meatballs as a keto dinner without even coming close to busting your carb limit.
With that said, feel free to pour your favorite glass of red for sipping with these meatballs and breathe easy.
Lamb Meatballs with Mint Pesto and Sweet Yogurt Sauce
Total Time: 40 Minutes
(Prep: 15 Minutes / Cook: 25 Minutes)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup flat parsley, finely chopped plus 1/4 cup whole flat parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 lb. ground lamb
- 1/4 cup whole mint leaves, firmly packed
- 1/4 cup whole milk plain greek yogurt
- 1 drop peppermint essential oil
- 3 to 4 drops liquid stevia
- a few grinds black peppercorns (from a pepper mill), or a pinch of coarsely ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 425F.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the egg, coconut flour, cumin, turmeric, red pepper flakes, finely chopped parsley leaves, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and salt. Grate one of the garlic cloves into the bowl. Add the ground lamb and mix everything together well. Use your hands for best results!
3. Roll the lamb mixture into balls that are about one inch in diameter. You should end up with around 20 meatballs. Place the meatballs on a rimmed baking sheet so that they are evenly spaced. Bake on the top rack in the oven for 12-15 minutes. When done, use kitchen tongs to roll the meatballs around on the baking sheet. This will smooth out any uneven edges as well as coat them in their juices for maximum flavor.
4. While the meat is baking; add the mint leaves, whole parsley leaves, the second garlic clove, 1/4 cup olive oil, and a pinch of salt to a food processor. Pulse for about a minute or until leaves are very finely chopped and the pesto is beginning to get smooth.
5. In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, peppermint essential oil, liquid stevia and fresh ground black pepper. Mix well until the yogurt is smooth and creamy and the flavors are evenly distributed.
6. Smear a spoonful of yogurt sauce onto each plate. Drop a spoonful of mint pesto on top of the yogurt and smear the pesto into the yogurt using light, arcing motions. (Don't overdo it, though! You want to have distinct circles of white yogurt and green pesto covering the plates.). Place 5 meatballs on top of the sauce/pesto swirls, then top the meatballs with a drizzle of olive oil. Garnish with a grind or two of fresh ground black pepper and a sprinkling of red pepper flakes.