Serves: 6 | Total Time: 30 Minutes
This rice recipe uses only 5 ingredients and takes 30 minutes. It is bright, savory, and truly edible confetti in a bowl thanks to red quinoa, green cucumbers, yellow lemons, and - of course - creamy rice.
A great recipe if you are looking for healthy side dishes for summer.
Also nice if you are looking for easy side dishes for a potluck!
This quick and easy side dish recipe beats fried rice in the summer months because it is so simple and light, yet it will go with any entree that fried rice normally goes with.
I add about a half teaspoon of salt to my rice, but feel free to add more or scale back as you see fit. Rice side dish recipes are flexible that way.
Talk about easy side dishes for summer!
Lemon Cucumber Confetti Rice
Total Time: 30 Minutes
(Prep: 10 Minutes / Cook: 20 Minutes)
- 2 cups brown rice (not instant)
- 2 tablespoons red quinoa (not instant)
- 2 mini seedless cucumbers (middles scooped out); finely diced
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the rice and quinoa and cook until al dente, about 20 minutes. Drain and allow to cool slightly.
2. Add the cucumber, lemon zest, canola oil, salt and pepper to the rice. Stir to combine. Serve immediately.
To remove the fleshy middles of the cucumbers, slice them in half lengthwise, then slice the halves into very thin strips, also lengthwise. Cut away the middle parts of the cucumber strips from the outer parts. Don't discard the middle parts! You can use them to infuse water for drinking. Just place them into a pitcher filled with filtered water, then place the water in the refrigerator for at least an hour. When you need a refreshing thirst quencher, this cucumber water will be chilled and naturally flavored! When the water runs out, just keep refilling the pitcher while leaving the cucumbers in it. This can be done over and over for a few days.
Goes great with: